Saturday, September 26, 2009

The *Absent* Gourmet

I know all one of you who reads this blog is wondering if I died.  No would be the answer, but I've had a cooking hiatus.  Call it laziness, call it a bad week, call it sinking into the abyss of leftovers and fast food.  That aside I am back.

I burnt my arm at work.  Not just a little red spot and stinging, I'm talking a blistering send you the ER burn.  I'd post pictures, but this blog is supposed to be about the appetizing, not the disgusting.  However my arm is all dressed and pressed and ready for some non-action.

Today I made spagetti and meatballs.  The meatballs were ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, SnP and some spices, rolled into inch width balls.  I browned the outsides, then boiled until they were cooked through.  The sauce was tomato paste, crushed tomatos, oregano, marjoram, Montreal steak spice, boiled garlic, garlic salt, Worcester, Burgundy cooking wine and parsley.  I added water to reduce the thickness slightly and simmered for about an hour.  I added some ground beef and eventually the meatballs to simmer.  Then I remembered that I forgot onions of any kind.  I could feel the real Italians rallying outside my door, pitchforks in hand so I quickly diced some onions, browned them and tossed them in.

Tonight my charming husband is heading out with some chums and my girls are coming over, so it will be appy's and cocktails. I think I may try a naan thai chicken pizza, homemade salsa with taco chips, and possibly edamame. Yum.

I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for your patience in my absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment